Tuesday, April 14, 2009

PC: Japanese Style

If you looked at the title and thought I was talking about the personal computer, the whole concept of political correctness has failed. OK, I'm bound to have critics hounding me for making such a broad statement on such little evidence, but I see that as evidence of PC's failure in America and beyond. That is not to say that women's rights have not made progress in recent history. One group recently wrote a paper for President Obama to show the areas where progress needs to be made. I'm all over the concept of pay based on merit and not on sex, color, or political affiliation.

With that ode to women's rights out of the way, it's time for some PC bashing (not the kind that happened in the movie Office Space of a fax machine). PC is about altering the structures that inhibit the thought process through words. For example: the word "chairman" automatically includes the meaning that women cannot attain that position. To me, this is absurd because before PC activists drew attention to the concept, I associated the word with mankind a.k.a. human beings. It didn't matter if a woman became chairman because women are humans too.

However, English isn't the only language to experience this. Discriminatory (sabetsuteki) words are often avoided; I am usually corrected if I use one. Examples of this include chieokure (retarded); gaijin (foreigner, but literally outsider); and the reason I thought of this topic, shikimo (color blind). The correct words are shogai no aru hito (handicapped), gaikokujin (literally outside country person), and shikijyaku (color deficient). As you can see, it is very similar to the way words were changed in English to be less "discriminatory" toward people of certain conditions. As a colorblind person.....color-deficient person, I am supposed to take offense at the implication that I cannot see color, when I really can, just not the same way you can. However, do two people really see the same color? That's like asking how many licks it takes to eat a tootsie roll pop (that owl bites it in the commercial, so it is not 3!).

To put a Japanese spin on PC, you first have to understand the writing system. In Japan, they have a syllabic alphabet they use in conjunction with Chinese characters that were imported into Japan I believe during the Tang Dynasty of China. All of the Chinese characters have pronunciations that can be written in the Japanese syllabic alphabet. Chinese characters themselves are made up of "radicals" or different parts that you see often. One such radical is "river" represented as three lines (like a picture of a river). Words that have something to do with water or flowing usually have this radical in them. In fact, the character for flow as the river radical in it. However, the character for the verb "to decide" also has it (because ideas flow? The idea character doesn't have it though!). I always point to the word "to be troubled" as a perfect example of a character that doesn't make sense. It is made up of the "tree" radical and the "mouth/entrance" radical. For sure, a tree in the mouth is troubling, but I have proposed having the "person" radical above the "fire" radical because that is troubling.

This all relates to PC because there is a "man" radical and a "female" radical. One recent blog I read had a "study" in it which concluded that most of the almost 800 characters that contain the "female" radical have negative connotations while there are no characters that use the "man" radical. Right off the bat, I can think of a character that uses the "man" radical: yuki (bravery). Also, when I think of characters that contain the "female" radical I think of characters like suki (like) and sakura (cherry blossoms). However, to really think that these radicals affect connotations of women, I am highly skeptical. These may be vestiges of misogynistic ages past, but to say it affects connotations is like believing Hiroshima (literally broad island, but is located on the main island of Japan) really is an island because it says so.

If you don't catch what I'm saying, you can sum it up this way: languages are dynamic and changing and the meaning of words comes from socialization, not from etymology. The word sinister etymologically comes from the Latin word for "left-handed" but I don't associate left-handedness with evil because I was educated to the modern definition as evil. Similarly, Japanese people do not look for horses when they go to Gunma Prefecture (Gunma= herding horses). Drawing attention to the words make actually do harm because it draws awareness to discrimination that wasn't discrimination until it was deemed as such. No woman was denied a chairmanship because the title was chairman, it was socialization that attached being a man with the position and not the word; and this needs to be stopped! I hope there are lots of female chairmen in the future that earned the position in an egalitarian workplace!

2 comments:

thinwhiteduke said...

Great blog entry. I believe you are write to say that it is the socializing agent that adds a negative connotation, not the word in itself.

To Iu Wake said...

Thanks mr. constructivist. Although, I think my attitude didn't quite sit well with a common friend of ours when I derided nationalism as a tool to generate support for a limited objective and not an organic expression.