Monday, November 24, 2008

Killer Cars: Of Bikes and Men


Well, since you got past the corny title that makes little sense (the name of a Radiohead B-side mixed with a play on a John Steinbeck book title), you deserve a piece of quality writing. That's why I'm suggesting you go now to some place where quality writing actually exists.
If you are still reading this blog, I'll treat you to what I like to call "road wars: battle between bikes and cars." Normal people in Kyoto call it "the daily commute."
Take a look at this video and try to tell me that my night commute home does not contain some risk of injury or death.





As you can see, the cars go pretty much right next to you since there aren't any sidewalks hanging around on these lonesome streets. All the sidewalks are for the big boys like Shijo Dori (street) or Marutamachi Dori. Bikes (as in bicycles) can travel on sidewalks, but you do so at great delay since Japanese people have a knack for walking right in front of you when you try to pass from behind them. Some say they have eyes on the back of their heads; I just say a lot of people can't or don't walk straight.

Regardless, you are left with the option of great delay (sidewalks) or possible death (streets).
As a professor in college once hammered into my head, always look for the third way. In this case, the third way are the side-streets. As mentioned above and shown in the video, they do not have sidewalks; however, they usually don't have as many cars on them as the video made it appear. That street I took that video on is full of taxi cabs picking up and dropping off clientele and maiko-san (geisha) from the different teahouses and upscale dining options that street has to offer.


The third way is convenient in that I can get pretty much anywhere in Kyoto in 20 minutes, much faster and cheaper than public transportation. The downside is that I almost pee my pants when a car honks at me 20 feet away when I'm already moving to the side of the road to let them pass (I constantly look over my shoulder to see what's coming). Those unruly drivers (probably the same people that pick their nose and spit in public....OK, enough stereotyping....although most, if not all, older men in Japan do so, and they are the drivers that honk at me) get welcomed with a little American hospitality....my long middle finger.

No comments: